Tuesday 1 July 2014

My TWA Regimen- 3 Weeks Post Big Chop

In my previous post, I did promise to share the details about my current hair regimen.

As you know, I currently have a TWA which makes washing and styling a whole lot easier for me now than it was 3 weeks ago when my hair was shoulder length and I was still in the transitioning phase. Trying to get those two textures to blend was not at all easy for me, and I'll detail the very real struggles I faced with that in a future post.

My current hair regimen is very simple:

WASHING
I co-wash in the shower every other day, and deep condition once a week.

As I mentioned in the last post, I mostly co-wash with the Hawaiian Silky Argan Oil Hydrating Sleek Conditioner. This conditioner is sulfate and paraben free. The smell is somewhat strong and does make me sneeze for a minute or two, but I can deal with that because of how fantastic my hair feels when I use it. :)

I do not shampoo often, but when I do, I use a sulfate free shampoo like Creme of Nature's Argan Oil Moisture and Shine Shampoo.

STYLING
After I come out of the shower, I wrap a t shirt around my head for a few minutes to soak up the excess water. Once that t shirt comes off, I follow the either the L.O.C (liquid, oil, cream) or the L.C.O (liquid, cream, oil) methods, depending on my mood. Lately, I've been doing the L.C.O method more, simply because the cream that I use is water based, so I use the oil to seal.

While water is the most obvious thing to use as a liquid, I like to add a water based leave in conditioner to my hair while its still wet (not dripping wet, though!). My staple leave in is the Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner.



I cannot say enough good things about this leave in; this is what made the last few months of my transition bearable. My hair loves it. A little also goes a long way: I've had this same bottle since the end of February, and you can see that I still have a good amount left.

After using my leave in, I will do one of three things:

1. Apply half a tablespoon of my EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to seal in the moisture, followed by my ElastaQP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Moisturizer. Occasionally, I may use the Coconut Curling Cream from Shea Moisture to style, but I find that product works best on my second day hair, for some reason.





By the way, the ElastaQP Moisturizer was another product I couldn't live without during my transition. It made the hair soft and manageable. The first ingredient is water, so that's always a good thing.


2. Apply the ElastaQP first and the EVOO second, using a bit more EVOO than I do in the previous method. Layering the products in this way gives me better overall curl definition, even though the white residue does stay on my hair for a few minutes longer.





3. Apply the ElastaQP followed by 100% raw Shea butter. I don't do anything fancy with it, I simply melt it in my hands before applying it to my hair. My hair feels the best after I've used the Shea butter; it really helps to lock the moisture in. Occasionally, I will use a bit of the Olive Oil EcoStyler Gel on my edges.





TECHNIQUE 
My technique for styling my hair is very simple. I apply all products to my hair using a circular motion with the palms of both hands. I find that this really makes my curls pop. However, I find myself having to pay more attention to some parts of my hair more than others, as I have multiple textures throughout my head.

DAILY MAINTENANCE
For now, I just wet my hair with a little bit of water, and add a small amount of the Coconut Curling Cream when it gets dry.

SLEEPING
A satin scarf is a must.


That's basically all there is to it. :)

Remember, this is what works for me. You may have to play around with products to find what works for you. Just be patient, and I guarantee you'll eventually find something that works for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment